Date: May 19, 2008
Sam came to my apt this morning around 10 Am and walked me to the school. The school I work at is called "Gunpo Elementary School" in the city of Gunpo (link). Gunpo city has an interesting slogan "When you click Gunpo, you will see hope."I like that, I think we all need Hope! Gunpo is in Gyeonggi-Do (Gyeonggi Province), which is the area outskirt of Seoul (the "Do" or Province is smiliar to what we call a "county" in the U.S.)
The school is really close to my place, only a bridge away. it's about 20 steps/stairs away and takes about 2 min. walking distance. Sam took me to my classroom and introduced me to my Korean co-teacher, Kate, and also a supervisor from the education company, Tina. They talked to me a little bit, and then the principal came in so I met him right there. Although he didn't really talk to me, just spoke something to Kate, Tina, and Sam (the people who understood Korean of course). They then took me to meet the vice principal, school manager, and the after-school program manager. This is the very first time the school establishes the after-school English program, so hopefully we (kate and myself) will do well and keep it going. The after-school English program a partnership program including Woongin (my educational company), the school (Gunpo Elementary School) and the Primary Education Board (government). The purpose is to offer an opportunity for students/families ,who are unable (or struggling) to afford the high-tuition fee at private institutes, to study English.
We have about a little over 100 students, around 10-12 students per class. There are 2 categories for a set of 5 classes. They are "Sea Animals" and "Wild Animals". Each class is given a name under each category. "Sea Animal" classes include Dolphin, Sea Turtle, Shark, Whale, and Starfish. "Wild Animal" classes include Kangaroo, Tiger, Panda, Elephant, and Hippo. Kate and I alternate classes. For example, if I have the Sea Animal classes and she has the Wild Animal classes today, then we'll switch the next day, so I'll have the Wild Animal classes and she'll have the Sea Animal classes so on and so forth. The classes are pretty much back to back w/out breaks in between. The materials we use are "Phonics" and "English Star". Kids are put into different levels according to their English abilities. The classes have mixed age range but all within the "elementary" age brackets (ranging from 6 yrs old to about 12). My youngest classes are mostly 1st and 2nd graders, and the oldest are about 5th and 6th graders.
We have a syllabus we have to follow for each class, in other words, we have assigned schedules for the portions of materials to cover, HW to give, and scheduled mid-terms and tests. Today was the first day, and since the books are not here yet (ordered, but haven't been delivered) we were to give English names to kids who did not already have one. I picked out about 20 girl names and 20 boy names to let each student choose one which "sounded" the best to them.
It's exhausting to teach 5 classes in a row per day and it takes a lot of energy working with bunch of elementary school kids. Hopefully, I'll get used to the schedule and the pace soon. i'm loving it so far, they are so adorable! i love those kids!
I've exposed to some cultural differences, and of course, i have people come up to me and start speaking korean, cuz apparently they think i look like Korean, but i think it's just cuz i'm Asian. People are pretty nice to me, but i really would like to learn more Korean so i can understand what's being said around me and to me so I can get around a lot easier.
I had to go to the hospital for a physical check up, and after i get the results back, i can apply for my registration/alien card, and then i will be able to apply for a phone,internet, and bank account, that'll probably take another 2 weeks. As of now, i just check my email at the school. I eat lunch with other teachers at the school, and of course we have kim-chi for every meal, it's about $3 US dollars a meal, and it's the standard/traditional korean food.
Oh! and check out how cool is this, when you come in to the school, you'll have to take off your shoes and put slippers on...Yup! i get to wear slippers in the school! i thought that's pretty neat!
So, anywaz, i'm about to head back home now...later!
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment